denonymous,

d> Hi all -- I just need a quick sanity check on a query.

d> I have two tables:

d> CREATE TABLE users (
d>     userID VARCHAR(10) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
d>     [many other fields]
d> )

d> CREATE TABLE subscriptions (
d>     userID VARCHAR(10) NOT NULL,
d>     listID INT NOT NULL
d> )

d> In these tables, users.userID == subscriptions.userID.
d> The users table keeps 1 record per userID, and the subscriptions table keep
d> multiple records per userID (one for each listID to which they're
d> subscribed).

d> If I wanted to select all users from the users table that *do not* appear in
d> the subscriptions table, I'd want the following query:

d> SELECT users.*
d> FROM users
d> LEFT JOIN subscriptions
d> ON users.userID=subscriptions.userID
d> WHERE subscriptions.userID IS NULL

d> Correct?

Looks like it is correct. You can check your query result on any test
database.

d> I know that this is a pretty base example, but I'd like to confirm it
d> (outside of an example in a book) with someone a bit more knowledgable than
d> me. There are a couple other reports here that calculate this number in
d> other ways, and I'd like to be able to positively state that this is the
d> be-all end-all for the needed data.

d> Much thanks!

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko