At 08:14 2002-03-14, Konstantin Tsolov wrote:
>right, of course ;-) (i neglected the join part)
>
>so, now i know exactly whom to ask ;-)
>
>i have the following bother (it's in the planning state):
>
>i have the idea of setting up a two-way replication system with 2 mysql
>servers for my radius database.
>i need them to act interchangeably:
>
>1. if server1 is alive, all selects and updates (radius acct) should go to
>server1. server2 should act as a slave for server1.
>
>2. if server1 dies, all selects and updates (radius acct) should go to
>server2.
>
>so far, so good.
>but here comes the tricky (for me) part - when server1 comes up again, it
>shold do 2 things:
>a) catch up with server2.
>b) become master again, leaving server2 as it's slave (same situation as in
>1. above).
>
>how could this happen ?
>all ideas are appreciated (pointing to reading - also).

Try here, since You are already thinking of using 2 machines:
http://linux-ha.org/LinuxFailSafe/

Works rather well with IP, MAC and Oracle/SAP failover. I believe there is
a driver for MySQL, if not You shouldn't t have much trouble writing one,
examples are provided. It's all open source, same code _base_ as IRIX
FailSafe (HA on SGI machines for the past 7? years). Since this is really
off-topic, if You have any further questions, You probably should ask me
off the list. I would only suggest using either DRBD or shared-SCSI for
storage.