I have had very much success with passing sql commands via ado over the
myodbc layer.  I wouldn't trust addnew and update batch methods nor have I
tested how or if they work, it's better to keep your connections to the
database stateless for performance purposes.  Meaning to execute dml
statements use the ado connection object to establish the connection and
pass your sql command to the db, then close your connection.  Get in, get
out.  Don't hold anything open as your looping thru your rs... imho

Same with retrieving recordsets, I recommend using disconnected recordsets
which work terrific.  Make your connection, pass your select, get your rs
back, close your connection and manipulate your new disconn rs object using
the full scope of adodb.rs methods & props.

hth
chris
www.mydba2000.com