Hans,
Saturday, March 23, 2002, 5:19:22 PM, you wrote:

HK> What is the correct syntax to use to backup all databases in the
HK> /usr/local/mysql/var directory.

mysqlhotcopy has '--regexp' option to copy all database with the names
matching regexp.
You can find more info about mysqlhotcopy at:
    http://www.mysql.com/doc/m/y/mysqlhotcopy.html

HK> We tried a number of different options, but at best we get only 1 database,
HK> backup completely. Using a wildcard, *, only creates the directory, but
HK> doesn't copy the tables.

HK> There are a number of other postings on this subject, but no clear
HK> instructions can be found.

HK> mysqlhotcopy -u username -p xxxxx --flushlog --allowold name_database
HK> /backup/mysql

HK> This will backup the dabase with the name name_database, that is working fine.
HK> mysqlhotcopy -u username -p xxxxx --flushlog --allowold a* /backup/mysql

HK> This will backup all databaes starting with a, works ok
HK> mysqlhotcopy -u username -p xxxxx --flushlog --allowold s /backup/mysql

HK> This will back up all databases with a s in the name, works ok
HK> mysqlhotcopy -u username -p xxxxx --flushlog --allowold * /backup/mysql

HK> This is what we want, backup of all databases, but only creates the
HK> directory's, doesn't backup the tables, and returns the following error:

HK> DBD::mysql::db do failed: File
HK> '/usr/local/mysql/var/alternat/nuke_bannerclient.MYD' not found (Errcode:
HK> 24) at ../bin/mysqlhotcopy line 434.
HK> Not sure what this error 24 is about.

[root@light /root]# perror 24
Error code  24:  Too many open files

You should fix your OS.

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov