Hi everyone,
I am having a little trouble with searching for Swedish characters. When I
SELECT using LIKE I get matches that I do not expect. I have created a
simple test case that is entirely reproduced below. To summarize, I insert
one row into a single-column table that contains the right square bracket
character (ASCII 0x5d). When I search for the Swedish letter ö (ISO-8859-1
0xf6) I find the row containing the right bracket.

We're running RedHat 7.2 with nothing fancy added in as we're Linux novices
and just playing around with the system to see how it works. MySQL -V
produces this:
mysql  Ver 11.15 Distrib 3.23.41, for redhat-linux-gnu (i386)

Here's my test:

mysql> create database swedish_character_test;
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> use swedish_character_test;
Database changed
mysql> create table simple (name varchar(255) NOT NULL);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> insert into simple (name) values (']');
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> select name from simple where name like '%ö%';
+------+
| name |
+------+
| ]    |
+------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

I'd appreciate any help understanding why ö = ] in this case.

Thanks in advance,
Philip