<my thoughts>
I would assume a plpgsql solution wouldn't be a bad one, All you would
really need is IF ELSEIF ELSE and FOR/WHILE, a way for procedures,
triggers, views, etc. to be able to access each other with in the
syntax of the language (providing routine/function support) along side
the ability to access existing functions defined by the db; You may
even want to think about providing a very simple push <-> pull system
to allow forks out to external applications (not ideal in most cases
but could be very useful in some).
</my thoughts>

Russell E Glaue wrote:

> Actually, I like this proposal of being able to plug in any language into
> MySQL.  I also want to make a note that Greg Cope has a very good point.
> I believe it to be good to be able to plug in any language, but the mySQL
> community may want to make a standard recomendation of a certain language.
> And going from what Greg mentioned in an earlier e-mail in this thread,
> the embedded language of choice really needs to be a small and compact
> language. Perhaps it is feature rich, but still small.
> A big language like java or perl will most likely slow down the database.
>
> What language could MySQL try to standardize on that would not cause the
> server to slow down or become bulky in memory?  I don't know if Python or
> PHP are necessarilly better choices than PERL or Java under these
> considerations. I cringe at offering up TCL as an option (don't hit me!).
> I might go along with using LISP.
>
> Does anyone on this list have a suggestion as what might be the best
> language to embed into MySQL?  Be sure to consider memory efficiency,
> threadding, speed of the language, and compactness (compared to code and
> library bulkiness).  I'd like to hear what other people think?
>
> As far as creating a language just to embed in MySQL... this may be
> tempting, but I think it to be far better to not do this. The problems
> with inventing a language just for MySQL is stalness of advancing the
> language, and also innovation and optimization. There are already lots of
> people in existing communities to improve current program languages.
>
> -RG
>
> On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 06:20:41PM -0600, Russell E Glaue wrote:
> > >
> > > On the mysql-internals mail list we had a thread going about this. I
> > > was suggesting something like embedding PERL into MySQL to produce
> > > something like PERL/SQL (similar to PL/SQL in oracle).
> > > Unfortunately, although promising and liked among people of the
> > > list, there are no plan right now to develop anything like
> > > this. Atleast no one has taken the initiative to look into this.
> >
> > Actually, there are plans.  I've been in at least 2 discussions (1 was
> > in person) about just how it will be done.
> >
> > The plan, last I heard, is to provide a general API for plugging in a
> > language on the back-end.  So if you to use Python, you can.  If you
> > want to use PHP, you can.  Java?  Probably.  And so on.
> >
> > The only problematic languages are those with threading problems--like
> > Perl.
> >
> > Jeremy
> > --
> > Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance
> > Desk: (408) 349-7878   Fax: (408) 349-5454   Cell: (408) 685-5936
> >
> > MySQL 3.23.47-max: up 54 days, processed 1,508,672,191 queries (319/sec. avg)

Colin Faber
(303) 859-1491
fpsn.net, Inc.