At 01:54 PM 4/5/2002, you wrote:
>I have seen many people saying that InnoDB is a great deal, that InnoDB
>rocks, etc. and I am concerced about how much better InnoDB is compared to
>MyISAM tables. Can someone tells me wich one is better ? I know that InnoDB
>have foreign keys support, but I deal very well without then since now.
>
>My interests are justified becaus eI got out of a very old struct ( DBM +
>Text Files ) and jumped head first into MySQL - MyISAM tables, but my site
>has a good deal of visitors ( about 30.000 unique visitors by day ) and speed
>and reliability are my primary concerns. I plan to use replication in MySQL,
>and I would like to know if InnoDB is better than MyISAM for this.

Have you ever heard the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?".<bg>

If your website is mainly for read access to your database then you're not
going to need InnoDb. InnoDb is great for multi-user updates because of its
row locking. If you have more than say 30-50 users at a time updating
records in the *same* table, then yes row locking will help. You will need
to analyze the log file to determine how many processes are waiting for
table locks on your MyISAM tables to determine if the switch to InnoDb is
warranted. InnoDb inserts (for a single user) are much slower (for me it is
around 10x slower) than MyISAM because InnoDb does a lot more work.  This
may dismay a few users initially, but then they realize InnoDb will
maintain its speed much better than MySQL when there are a lot of heavy
updates.

So if your database is mostly readonly, then stick to MyISAM tables. I
don't know if InnoDb supports replication or not. You'll have to check with
Heikki.

Brent