Many thanks for any assistance:

I have data (classified ads) in a text file that I would like to load
into a table. The problem is that, as classifieds, they are broken down
by class and sub-class. For instance:

0031 - Announcements
    - Notices
            One ad
            Two ad
     - Tickets
            Three ad
            Four ad
            Five ad
0035 - Help Wanted
    - Professional
             Six ad
            Seven ad
    - Dishwashers
             Eight ad

And so on.

The problem I have is how can I indicate in the load data infile that
'0031 - Announcements' is a class and to assume everything below it flow

into the database (not putting anything in the 'class' field or
repeating the same class in the class field) until the next class is
reached. The same would be the case for the sub-class, with numerous ads

under a sub-class. Does this require a separate table for each class? Or

should there just be more preparation of the text file to make it
conform?

Point me toward something similar someone else has done and I'll pursue
it.

for filter: MySql, database, query, Mephistopheles
--

Greg Peretti
web developer

The web of our life is of a mingled yarn, good and ill together.
-  William Shakespeare

The more I know, the less I understand.
- Don Henley