If the master crashes, you can move the ip of you master to the slave
machine and it can become the new master.  However, to move back to teh
master, you will need to copy the stuff back to the master.

There's some good information in the manual about how to plan disaster
recovery:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/R/e/Replication_FAQ.html