Hey BJ,

Can the mysql user actually get into that directory
('/home/user/directory')?

If the mysql user can't read that directory, then it doesn't matter than
it owns that file.  You might want to check, do an 'su - mysql' (
replace mysql with whatever user is running the mysql daemon ), then try
an do an 'ls -l' on both files.

Hope this helps.

--
sh