Having objectively looked at both I would say a simple DBI perl app
running under mod_perl with Apache::DBI installed would be your best
bet for performance.  Connection pooling is something you'll need to
keep the overall load down.

PHP's pconnect is good but seems to be a bit broken in it's pooling
practices.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Craig Westerman wrote:

> I'm needing counter for site that receives 80 to 120 hits a minute at peak
> load. Many I
> have tried cause excessive server load and need to be deactivated or they
> lose data and return to zero without warning. All tried so far have been
> written in Perl writing to a file.
>
> Anyone here know of a counter that would handle HIGH traffic with little
> added server load? Would using MySQL to store count be of any benifit?
>
> Would Perl or PHP be faster for writing count to MySQL?
>
> Thanks
>
> Craig ><>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Colin Faber