* Sonia
>     I`m a newbie to mysql and linux and have at the moment a necessity
> concerning to both that I`m not able to handle due to my lack of
> knowledge in these fields. The fact is that I need to migrate a mysql
> database and its tables from windows to linux and haven`t found anything
> in the web that could give me a hint so could someone tell me something
> about how to migrate a database from one platform to another? I really
> would appreciate the help!

1. Export your data with the mysqldump utility:
C:\mysql\bin\> mysqldump --opt dbname > export_file.sql

2. Transfer the data to the linux box

3. From the linux box, import the data with a statement like:
$ mysql dbname < export_file.sql

($ is my linux prompt... yours may be different)

You may need to provide extra parameters, like -u for user name, -p for
password.

If you have a TCP/IP connection between the win box and the linux box, you
could do it all in one operation from the win machine...:

C:\mysql\bin\> mysqldump dbname | mysql -h ip-to-linux-box

--
Roger