At 13:34 +0100 4/19/02, Mick Watson wrote:
>Thank you :-)
>
>I do realise the SQL is not being used as it should be, but as it is not my
>database and nor is it my SQL, there's not much I can do to really change
>either of these.... I merely have to work with a database that has been
>produced by a third party group, and I must say at this point that I have
>nothing but praise for the ensembl group for the difficult job that they have
>done very well (see http://www.ensembl.org)
>
>So, I realise this is not the problem of mySQL, but what I want to try and
>find out is really the internal workings of mySQL when it performs this
>operation so that I can understand why my copy of ensembl, which is produced
>from direct dumps of the main ensembl, behaves differently to the main
>ensembl.

I guess you won't want to hear this, but that is completely the wrong
approach.  You *might* be able to achieve the same query output on both
machines by dumping the database on one machine, then dropping and reloading
the tables on both machines using the same copy of the dump.  Then presumably
both tables will have both records loaded in the same order, and the query
*might* produce the same result on both machines.

- ...until the table gets modified
- ...until MySQL is upgraded on one machine and not the other, and something
   happens in the query optimizer that changes the query output
- ...etc.

The group you're working with *must* change the queries to be correct.
Otherwise, you're entirely at the mercy of any number of external factors
that can change the output and over which you have no control.