Samim,

----- Original Message -----
From: ""Samim"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.mysql
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 11:31 AM
Subject: InnoDB, BDB

> Hello,
>
> This question is probably repeated each week, but I am an absolute
beginner
> with MySQL. Sorry for that. I've installed the precompiled binaries for
Win,
> and I am very satisfied with MySQL. The only thing I couldn't find is
> support for transactions, although it was written in the documentation
that
> support for BDB and InnoDB table types is activated in precompiled
binaries.
> Is there something I've missed to configure (I've configured the necessary
> innodb_data_file_path and innodb_data_home_dir for InnoDB) or do I have to
> recompile MySQL with support for BDB and InnoDB activated? I've tried
> mysqld-max-nt and mysqld-max, but have_bdb and have_innodb variables were
> 'NO'. I use version 3.23.49.

the following manual section is a guide to creating an InnoDB database.

If you have already installed mysqld... as a service, stop the service from
the Control Panel of Windows.

Start mysqld-max.exe from an MS-DOS prompt as instructed below.

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
---
Order technical MySQL/InnoDB support at https://order.mysql.com/
See http://www.innodb.com for the online manual and latest news on InnoDB

"
[mysqld]
# You can write your other MySQL server options here
# ...
#
innodb_data_home_dir = c:\ibdata
#                                            Data files must be able to
#                                            hold your data and indexes
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:2000M;ibdata2:2000M
#                                            Set buffer pool size to 50 - 80
%
#                                            of your computer's memory
set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=70M
set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=10M
innodb_log_group_home_dir = c:\iblogs
#                                            .._log_arch_dir must be the
same
#                                            as .._log_group_home_dir
innodb_log_arch_dir = c:\iblogs
innodb_log_archive=0
set-variable = innodb_log_files_in_group=3
#                                            Set the log file size to about
#                                            15 % of the buffer pool size
set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=10M
set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=8M
#                                            Set ..flush_log_at_trx_commit
#                                            0 if you can afford losing
#                                            a few last transactions
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1
set-variable = innodb_file_io_threads=4
set-variable = innodb_lock_wait_timeout=50

Note that InnoDB does not create directories: you have to create them
yourself. Use the Unix or MS-DOS mkdir command to create the data and log
group home directories. Check also that the MySQL server has the rights to
create files in the directories you specify.

Note that data files must be < 2G in some file systems! The combined size of
data files must be >= 10 MB. The combined size of the log files must be <
4G.

If you do not specify innodb_data_home_dir, then the default is that InnoDB
creates its data files to the datadir of MySQL. Then you cannot use absolute
file paths in innodb_data_file_path.

When you the first time create an InnoDB database, it is best that you start
the MySQL server from the command prompt. Then InnoDB will print the
information about the database creation to the screen, and you see what is
happening. See below in section 3 what the printout should look like. For
example, in Windows you can start mysqld-max.exe with:

your-path-to-mysqld>mysqld-max --standalone --console

Where to put my.cnf or my.ini in Windows? The rules for Windows are the
following:

Only one of my.cnf or my.ini should be created.
The my.cnf file should be placed in the root directory of the drive C:.
The my.ini file should be placed in the WINDIR directory, e.g, C:\WINDOWS or
C:\WINNT. You can use the SET command of MS-DOS to print the value of
WINDIR.
If your PC uses a boot loader where the C: drive is not the boot drive, then
your only option is to use the my.ini file.
"