do you mean to execute a query that's written in a file?
if so, there are two ways:
                 for bournse shell type shells ( including WinNT/2K )
         mysql --user=myname --password=mypassword -D dbname -v <
file.sql > outfile.log2&>1
                 for c-shell based shells
         mysql --user=myname --password=mypassword -D dbname -v <
file.sql >& outfile.log

      or  from inside a session:
         mysql > \T outfile.log
         mysql> \. file.sql
copy of query and output captured in outfile.log.