I'm having a couple of problems running mysqlgui on Windows XP Pro.

1) Intermittent 1 - 2 second delays on connecting and executing queries
2) 30 second delay on connecting and occasionally when executing queries
when a dial-up connection is present

The problems appear to be related to DNS lookups. I'm not sure why mysqlgui
needs any info other than what is present in the hosts file.  In comparison,
the console-based client, mysql.exe, suffers no delays with or without a
dial-up connection. The second problem is also present on Win98 but the
delays are much shorter.

On my linux machine, mysqlgui has none of these problems even if a dial-up
connection is active.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a fix for it? Thanks in advance

Environment:
machine 1: red hat linux 7.2 - mysql server
machine 2: windows xp - client
machine 3: windows 98 - client