I apologize if this is a repost, but I've been having problems with my mail
servers and don't know for sure what has gone out or come in recently.

I am hoping someone can shed light on this for me. We have a fairly simple
query that is pulling data from varchar(255) and integer(11) fields and
concatenating the field contents into a single results column. The problem
is the resulting data is reported to be BLOB instead of the expected
concatenated string....which in turn is causing our application to complain
about an unsupported data type (our application is expecting a string value
to be returned). It seems like an error in MySQL to us.

If anyone is feeling adventurous, I can provide access to a data server to
see the actual data and play with the query.

this query returns BLOB's:

SELECT CONCAT(tblSystemType_1.strDescription, '/',
tblSystemType_2.strDescription, '/', tblSystemType_3.strDescription, '_',
tblSystemType_1.intSystemTypeID, '/',tblSystemType_2.intSystemTypeID,
'/',tblSystemType_3.intSystemTypeID) FROM tblSystemType AS tblSystemType_1,
tblSystemType AS tblSystemType_2, tblSystemType AS tblSystemType_3 INNER
JOIN tblLineItems ON tblSystemType_1.intSystemTypeID =
tblLineItems.intSystemTypeID1  AND tblSystemType_2.intSystemTypeID =
tblLineItems.intSystemTypeID2  AND tblSystemType_3.intSystemTypeID =
tblLineItems.intSystemTypeID3  WHERE (((tblLineItems.varProjectID)=1) AND
(tblLineItems.intLineItemTypeID = 5) AND booActive <> 0)  ORDER BY
tblSystemType_1.intSystemTypeID AND tblSystemType_2.intSystemTypeID AND
tblSystemType_3.intSystemTypeID

strangely enough, this one wroks as expected (only concatenates 2 sets of
fields instead of 3 and has one fewer inner joins)

SELECT CONCAT(tblSystemType_1.strDescription, '/',
tblSystemType_2.strDescription, '_', tblSystemType_1.intSystemTypeID,
'/',tblSystemType_2.intSystemTypeID) FROM tblSystemType AS tblSystemType_1,
tblSystemType AS tblSystemType_2 INNER JOIN tblLineItems ON
tblSystemType_1.intSystemTypeID = tblLineItems.intSystemTypeID1  AND
tblSystemType_2.intSystemTypeID = tblLineItems.intSystemTypeID2  WHERE
(((tblLineItems.varProjectID)=4) AND (tblLineItems.intLineItemTypeID = 1)
AND booActive <> 0)  ORDER BY tblSystemType_1.intSystemTypeID AND
tblSystemType_2.intSystemTypeID

Thanks for any suggestions or answers anyone is kind enough to provide.

   Jerry Jackson
   Director of Software Development
   BCA Technologies, Inc.
   (407) 659-0653   ext. 320