From: Victoria Reznichenko [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2002 10:28 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: query returns a BLOB for no reason

Jerry,

JJ> I am hoping someone can shed light on this for me. We have a fairly
simple
JJ> query that is pulling data from varchar(255) and integer(11) fields and
JJ> concatenating the field contents into a single results column. The
problem
JJ> is the resulting data is reported to be BLOB instead of the expected
JJ> concatenated string....which in turn is causing our application to
complain
JJ> about an unsupported data type (our application is expecting a string
value
JJ> to be returned). It seems like an error in MySQL to us.

JJ> If anyone is feeling adventurous, I can provide access to a data server
JJ> see the actual data and play with the query.

JJ> this query returns BLOB's:

JJ> SELECT CONCAT(tblSystemType_1.strDescription, '/',
JJ> tblSystemType_2.strDescription, '/', tblSystemType_3.strDescription,
'_',
JJ> tblSystemType_1.intSystemTypeID, '/',tblSystemType_2.intSystemTypeID,
JJ> '/',tblSystemType_3.intSystemTypeID) FROM tblSystemType AS
tblSystemType_1,
JJ> tblSystemType AS tblSystemType_2, tblSystemType AS tblSystemType_3 INNER
JJ> JOIN tblLineItems ON tblSystemType_1.intSystemTypeID =
JJ> tblLineItems.intSystemTypeID1  AND tblSystemType_2.intSystemTypeID =
JJ> tblLineItems.intSystemTypeID2  AND tblSystemType_3.intSystemTypeID =
JJ> tblLineItems.intSystemTypeID3  WHERE (((tblLineItems.varProjectID)=1)
AND
JJ> (tblLineItems.intLineItemTypeID = 5) AND booActive <> 0)  ORDER BY
JJ> tblSystemType_1.intSystemTypeID AND tblSystemType_2.intSystemTypeID AND
JJ> tblSystemType_3.intSystemTypeID

What is the length of your result string?
BLOB is the same as VARCHAR BINARY column that can be as big as you like.
So, if the length of your result
query is bigger that 255 your result string becomes BLOB.

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---