Hi!

Dennis> I downloaded mysql-3.23.49-win-src.zip.
Dennis> There are various files missing (e.g. Makefile) that would enable compiling
with gcc.

Dennis> Has anyone out there made mysql from source on Win platform
Dennis> with gcc?  I had been trying to compile my own client but was getting
Dennis> a lot of undefines at link time  - the instructions said that mysql
Dennis> should be remade from source to solve this problem.  I am stuck trying
Dennis> to do that.

If you want to use cygwin and gcc you should download the standard
MySQL source distribution instead of the windows source distribution.

You should however be aware of that the end result will not be as fast
os as reliable as if you would use VC++, because MySQL is heavily
dependent of a good thread implementation.

Regards,
Monty