Timothy,
Sunday, April 28, 2002, 6:18:12 PM, you wrote:

TK> 1. Windows is giving me the 1067 error, which states
TK> that the MySQL server is terminating unexpectedly.  I
TK> guess I'm going to have to reinstall it, unless
TK> there's some way to troubleshoot what's wrong and then
TK> fix the problem.  Has anyone ever encountered this?
TK> Could this be just a Windows problem, a MySQL problem,
TK> or both?

1. What Windows version do you use?
2. Have you checked the MySQL manual?
        http://www.mysql.com/doc/W/i/Windows_server_first_start.html
        http://www.mysql.com/doc/W/i/Win95_start.html
        http://www.mysql.com/doc/N/T/NT_start.html

3. How do you specify paths to the MySQL datadir and basedir in
my.cnf(my.ini) file?

TK> 2. Connected with the first question, if in the
TK> future, I should encounter this problem again, how
TK> would I be able to access the data that's in the
TK> database?

Timothy, error 1067 mostly occures when you use wrong set up options
in the options file.

TK> This time around, I fortunately didn't
TK> insert any data and haven't been using it in a
TK> production environment.  But, I'll be doing that in
TK> the future and want to know how to access the data
TK> other than the obvious route of making sure to backup
TK> all data each night and then accessing it that way.

All your data is stored in the file. So, if you use only MyISAM tables
you can copy these files directly to the datadir of your another MySQL
server, but it's not a best way. You should use database backup
instead of direct copying ..

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko