Hi.

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 07:58:57AM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi Guru's,
>
> We say MySQL is open source database, so it can easily be adjusted to your
> requirements. But I wonder how many administrators have actually gone into
> the source code and made any modifications to match their specific needs, if
> any.

Have a look at http://www.mysql.com/doc/C/o/Contributors.html (and
ignore the "thanks because we could use existing stuff" entries).

And the other point is: It is not relevant if you yourself would
change it: you can hire someone in the know in order to change it for
you. The advantage is that you can do with it what you want, even if
MySQL AB would join the Dark Side sometime.

> If no, then why is MySQL better than other databases available in
> market, if we leave the cost alone.

If no, it could also simply mean, that MySQL has an excellent
development team and nobody needed to change things.

In other words, your criteria didn't fit your conclusion.

> I do not intend to challenge MySQL, but just wanted to know how this
> elite group can help someone if such a need arises!!

Which elite group? And changing yourself is something different than
changing for others.

> Has anyone other than the core development team tried any changes
> before ??

See above. The answer to your question is: Yes.

> With regards,
> Paras

Bye,

        Benjamin.