Hi

>>We say MySQL is open source database, so it can easily be adjusted to your
requirements. But I wonder how many administrators have actually gone into
the source code and made any modifications to match their specific needs, if
any. <<

The point is you "can" make modifications if you want to, try making
modifications to Microsoft SQL server source code, and because you have the
source code you can compile the software to suit your own needs, try doing
that with a commercial database product.

>>If no, then why is MySQL better than other databases available in market,
if we leave the cost alone.<<

Commercial databases get updated by a limited number of programmers once per
year if your lucky, opensource projects get updated many times per year by
an unlimited about of programmers. If you find a bug in MySql you have the
"choice" to fix the bug yourself and have your bug fix included in the
release software. If you find a bug in say Microsoft SQL server all you can
do is report the bug to Microsoft and hope they fix it, then to get a copy
of the bug fixed software you will have to buy a new version of the
software.

>>I do not intend to challenge MySQL, but just wanted to know how this elite
group can help someone if such a need arises !!<<

This is not an elite group, its just normal people helping each other out,
if you have a problem people will try to help you if they can, opensource is
all about community sprit and not just about dollars in pockets.

Peter Kelly - A Happy MySql  User.
http://www.TrafficG.com