Hi.

Sorry, but I beg to differ. I think it is not a good idea to recommend
to others to run the MySQL server as root. The manual explicitly
recommends otherwise.

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 10:15:31PM -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Questions:
> - Do I use root account to install the software?
> Yes to compile the source or do an RPM as seen below.
> See http://www.mysql.com/doc/L/i/Linux-RPM.html

The usual approch is to create an UNIX user "mysql" and give all files
to him (of course, you need the root account to do so). If you use a
reasonable distribution and can use the packaged MySQL, the package
manager will do this for you (e.g. Debian, Mandrake,... don't know of
others).

Then you either start MySQL as "mysql". Or as root and tell MySQL (via
command line option) to run as "mysql".

This is surely described somewhere in the installation sections. Read
it! It seems big but if you pick the parts relevant to your system,
it's only some pages. And you will save a lot of hassle you would get
later.

> - What account do I use to create Innodb?
> Same - I am guessing here but I do all installs as root then give
> the needed permissions to others.

Maybe I am not up to date here, but usually you only need a database
login to create a database and that has nothing at all to do with the
UNIX root.

> - Who owns the data files?  root or mysql
> Root - See http://www.mysql.com/doc/P/r/Privilege_system.html

The user the MySQL daemon runs as.

I can only second the rest of the advices.
[...]

Bye,

        Benjamin.

--