[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

^^ Oh forgot to ask in the last post, how are you setting the password in the
^^ first place?  Are you using a grant statement or inserting values into the
^^ table.  I reckon the former is better (and safer) but if you're doing the
^^ later the you need to "flush privliges" after any changes so that mysql
^^ rereads the grant tables.
^^
^^ If you can give us the exact line(s) you're putting in then that could help
^^ us see the problem (change/mask the password of course).

I've tried

mysql> update user set password=password('pass') where user='submit_write';

and

mysql> grant insert,delete,update on *.* to submit_write@% identified by
    -> "<pass>";

I had previously issued

mysql> grant select on *.* to %@%;

as well.  Either way, I can only login as submit_write with a null
password.  However, I must use the correct password to login as root.

Is there a significance to the order in which users are listed in the
usre table?

Brandon
--
Well-married, a man is winged: ill-matched, he is shackled.
   --Henry Ward Beecher