Yep...

I am in as root, so I should have rights to everything.

Yep, I have confirmed that the dbname is right, but doublechecking it
multiple times.  Plus, this happens even on db that I did the same thing to
only a week ago.  The * just says "all tables" as I understand it.

And, that is what I am doing - setting up the user.  That is the whole
point.

A couple of other considerations:

I have PHPMySQLAdmin running - and it runs just fine.  I can do most
anything with it and have no errors.  Also, I did this same thing on a
different db just 1 week ago with no errors.  This time, I even tried to
scroll back through my commands in mysql at the mysql command prompt and re-
submit the same commands - I get the same error.  I have tried it on a
variety of dbs and users, but no success.

Thanks for all your help,

Mark