Hi.

I am trying out MySQL with Visual Basic and the ODBC 3.5 API.  I am finding
that everything works just the same as with other DBMS systems.  (Except for
the different MySQL syntax.)  So, no problems there. (yet).

However, I clearly don't know enough about MySQL security because something is
happening on log-in which concerns me.  The "mysql" database shows just two
users - "root" and one other (which is me).  Both have passwords.  Root has all
priveleges in "user".  I have none.  I have all priveleges in the db table on
"contacts".

My VB application has a log-in screen with two fields, userID and userPassword.
When these are correctly filled in, MySQL logs me in and the application opens.
 But, I can also log in (as myself) if I leave both fields blank.  And the plot
thickens when considering the following VB code snippet.

If this code is run 'as is' then I log in.  If the commented code is restored I
am thrown out.  But the code appears not to change anything.  This doesn't make
sense.

txtUsr and txtPwd are the two text boxes.
ps_DSN = "contacts on localhost"
ps_UserID = txtUsr.Text
'    'prevent log in with empty User_ID
'    If ps_UserID = "" Then
'      ps_UserID = ""
'    End If
ps_UserPWD = txtPwd.Text

retcode = ConnectDB(ps_DSN, ps_UserID, ps_UserPWD)
I am less concerned with the strange VB happenings than with the fact that I
can log in without a password or userID.

John Morrison