[snip]
My VB application has a log-in screen with two fields, userID and
userPassword.
When these are correctly filled in, MySQL logs me in and the application
opens.
 But, I can also log in (as myself) if I leave both fields blank.  And the
plot
thickens when considering the following VB code snippet.

If this code is run 'as is' then I log in.  If the commented code is
restored I
am thrown out.  But the code appears not to change anything.  This doesn't
make
sense.
[/snip]

Can you go to another computer where someone else is logged in to the
network, or can you log in to the network as someone else and try this? Is
your login username/password for the network the same as MySQL?

Jay