I'm still trying to get MySQL running on Mac OS X and previously after installation
when MySQL was running, I was getting 1045/6 errors and now, after a re-boot, MySQL is
not running (I didn't add the start-up script because of the constant permissions
errors I was getting).

When I try to enter mysql I get:

[localhost:~] phil% mysql -p
Enter password:
ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

Also when I try to start up (using ./bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql & ) I get:

20512 00:13:18  mysqld restarted
rm: /usr/local/mysql/data/localhost.pid: Permission denied
../bin/safe_mysqld: permission denied: /usr/local/mysql/data/localhost.err [235]
tee: /usr/local/mysql/data/localhost.err: Permission denied

ad infinitum (I eventually have to "sudo kill -9 PID" to stop it).

I've added a ~/.my.cnf file (per instructions in the MySQL manaul) but that makes no
difference. Could someone advise me on which file I have to edit to enable start up
and use of MySQL (huge_cnf?)?

Also, I'm using Marc Liyange's Entropy installation. Has anybody used his uninstall
script and, if so, how safe was it (it looks like I may have to uninstall and start
again)?

Regards,

Phil.