Hello dear group

I have a problem with an authentication in mysql. I got a database-table
'user' with columns for 'login' and 'passwort' and several other columns.
A customer shall be able to enter his UserID and Password into fields
(html input types) and these are posted to the following php-script:
    Further explanation:
    $usid comes from the <input type = 'text' ...> for the username
    $pass comes from the <input type = password...> for the password.

The problem:
    I wrote the php on my machine, where I have LAMP running, and
everything works fine. Then I installed everything to a server, which is
intented for the job, but now the username fails, unless it's working on
my machine. What is wrong, I just cannot explain??? Im completely pzzled
and confused.

Please help me. It would be nice if you'd cc to my email-address too.

Thank you very much for your interest.

dennis

<?php

$host = "localhost";
$user = "load";
$pass = "+u3§sr";
$dbname = "rbos";
$conex = mysql_pconnect($host, $user, $pass);

if (mysql_select_db($dbname, $conex))
{
        $getuser = mysql_query('Select * from user where login =
"'.$usid.'"');  //usid kommt aus dem Eingabefeld
        $exuser = '[a-zA-Z]+';

                if($entity = mysql_fetch_object($getuser))
                {

                        if (ereg($pwd, $entity->passwort))
                        {
                                echo "Vielen Dank, Anmeldung erfolgreich";
                                echo
"<br>Willkommen&nbsp;".$entity->vorname."&nbsp;".$entity->nachname;
                        }
                        else
                        {
                                echo "Login not successful (check
Password)";
                        }

                }
                else
                        echo "Login not successful (check Username)";

                mysql_free_result($getuser);

}
else
{
        echo "Can't connect to database !!! <br>";
        echo mysql_errno() . " : " . mysql_error() . "<hr>";
}

?>

TABLE USER:

mysql> describe user;
+----------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field    | Type         | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
| nummer   | int(4)       | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| login    | varchar(8)   | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| passwort | varchar(8)   | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| vorname  | varchar(255) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| nachname | varchar(255) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| gruppe   | varchar(30)  | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| level    | int(1)       | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
7 rows in set (0.00 sec)