Thanks for your note.

You wrote:

> There are known problems with gcc-2.96 which comes with RH 7.2
> distribution. There is disclaimer about it at
> www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-3.23.html as you noticed.

There is much reading on the GCC 2.96 issue.
There seems to be two paths of dicussion. I mention them
here with all due respect.

The first path is the one I subscribed too when I first
got bit on the hindside by this. Basically, the gcc people
forked 2.95.2 and it became 2.96. Only, it really wasn't
2.96. The version number 2.96 wasn't actually a version
number, rather, the _codename_ for the development branch.
I found this whole statement ludicrous. At this point, I
figured it was a huge GCC problem that RedHat got sucked
into.

That sorry excuse for an official statement can be found
here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html

There is no official RedHat position that I can find. I did find
this though:

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html

> Similar problems occur with different applications, but it seems
> that updated gcc-2.96 available from update.redhat.com are more
> stable.
> Unfortunaely these problems are very hard to diagnose :(
> They are not easily repeatable.

I am able to reproduce this problem very easily, including on
Redhat-7.2. Basically, any app using the libmysqlclient.so
compiled with gcc-2.96 connecting to a server compiled with
gcc-2.96 will experience problems. This is particularly the case
with PHP4.

> Recently RedHat released 7.3 which comes with gcc-2.96-110 Note
> that 110! It is just couple of days around so nothing can be
> said about it yet, but let's hope RedHat team fixed these
> problems.
>
> Can I ask you to provide more info about your setup? Especially
> if problem persists.

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] is better place for such issues.

Well here's the thing. I'm not really qualified to submit that
this is a mysql bug, or a gcc bug, or a redhat problem. I am
qualified however to recognize that mysql is saying "not our
problem, can't reproduce it, use the binaries", gcc saying
"not our fault, wasn't meant to be used" and hiding behind
the cloak of some weird codenaming convention, and RedHat saying
unofficially, "gcc-2.96 is fine, stuff it's compiling is broken".

Surely there has to be a better explanation, given the vast array
of knowledge and experience at work on MySQL, GCC, and RedHat.

Best Regards
Mike Robinson