Paul DuBois wrote:

> At 17:53 -0400 5/13/02, Amer Neely wrote:
> >Paul DuBois wrote:
> >  > >>  >>  AN> The values I'm inserting for
> >>  >>  >>  AN> UserID are all 'null' (without quotes).
> >>  >>  >>
> >>  >>  >>  How did you inserted values? Manually or from a file?
> >>  >>  >
> >>  >>  >As I indicated above, from a file.
> >>  >>
> >>  >>  Let's see a sample of the file.  Without that, we're just guessing.
> >>  >>  mysql won't interpret INSERT statements differently in batch mode
> >>  >>  than in interactive mode.
> >>  >
> >>  >Hmm. I'm not using INSERT, but LOAD DATA. Maybe that's the culprit?
> >>
> >>  Maybe.  In data files loaded with LOAD DATA, NULL values should be specified
> >>  as \N, not as the word NULL.
> >>  I'm not sure that that will make a difference, though. MySQL will see NULL,
> >>  perform a string-to-number conversion and end up with a value of zero.
> >>  And inserting 0 into an AUTO_INCREMENT column should be the same
> >>as inserting
> >>  NULL.  Still, it'd be worth a try to convert NULL to \N and see
> >>what happens.
> >>
> >>  This might be interacting with another problem, which is that if your
> >>  data file likes are CRLF terminated, *you need to say so*.  The default
> >>  is LF-terminated, so your LOAD DATA statement needs to have a
> >>
> >>  LINES TERMINATED BY '\r\n'
> >>
> >>  clause at the end.
> >
> >Tried both suggestions - still getting 1..7 as UserID.
>
> What does this statement show after creating the table, and after the
> LOAD DATA statement:
>
> SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE 'yourtablename'\G

mysql> show table status like 'respondents' \G
           Name: respondents
           Type: MyISAM
     Row_format: Dynamic
           Rows: 7
 Avg_row_length: 102
    Data_length: 716
Max_data_length: 4294967295
   Index_length: 2048
      Data_free: 0
 Auto_increment: 8
    Create_time: 2002-05-13 17:51:28
    Update_time: 2002-05-13 17:54:52
     Check_time: NULL
 Create_options:
        Comment:
1 row in set (0.05 sec)

mysql> \t

--
/* All outgoing email scanned by Norton Antivirus 2002 */
Amer Neely, Softouch Information Services