> I would like to know how often (delay in sec.) the slave checks the
>master for  new records in the log, and if one can control that .

You don't appear to have got a response to this, so I will give my
belief of what the answer is, in the hope that if I am wrong, wiser
minds will correct me.

My belief is that it doesn't work by polling. When it is ready to
replicate, the slave "registers" itself with the master. When the
master changes anything, it logs the update then informs all slaves
that there is work to be done. The slave processes the new log entries,
then reports back to the master that it is waiting. Thus the
replication occurs as fast as is possible, allowing for network delays,
and there can be no tweakable parameters.

Alec Cawley

     MySQL