----- Original Message -----
From: "bin cai" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "mysql list" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 10:59 AM
Subject: set connection as instance variable ( servlet and mysql)

> Hi,
> My application is about online exam with java servlet
> as tool, tomcat 3.2.3 as server solution , mysql 3.49
> as the backend.
> considering 180 students take the exam at same time
> within 50 minutes, there are a lot of transactions
> with database.
> what i did right now is to define connection in local
> variable(within doGet or doPost method), every time
> this servlet is called, new connection is created.
> after transaction is done, this connection is closed.
> I am worrying the speed.(it will comsume a lot
> connection and time for open new connection).
>
> so I am thinking to define connection as instance
> variable in every servlet, so it can save sometime to
> open new connection. However, I am not sure if it will
> cause multi-thread problem? How and when i can close
> the connection.

You should definitely use a connection pool. Sharing an instance of a
connection will work, but you will have performance problems, and it is
impossible to demarcate transactions when you do this.

If you upgrade to Tomcat-4, it has connection pooling built in. Otherwise
you might want to take a look at the commons project at
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons/dbcp/

    -Mark