Hopefully this is the right list. We have multiple servers going, and one
user just set up a dedicated machine with mysql. He had about 5 databases
going on another server for months with no problem. The new server has a
different version of mysql on it. I copied the database directories over
exactly and tried to simply drop them in. They don't seem to be working.

So my questions are:

Is it possible to zip up database directories on one server and move them
to another server, then simply unzip them?

If so, once that is done, does something need to be done to mysql so it is
aware of the databases? Is there some file that has a list of databases
that must be updated or something? Mysql is running, because I see it in
the process list, and from what the customer told me, he does see the
databases, but he cannot access them.

Have I done something wrong?