> At 21:27 -0500 5/23/02, Andrew Lietzow wrote:
> >Dear MySQL wizards,
> >I have two tables, call them a and b.   The database structure is
> > identical. I want the records in b to overwrite the records in (REPLACE
> > INTO) a.
> >This is the statement that does NOT work.
> >REPLACE INTO a SELECT b.* FROM b WHERE a.field1 = b.field1
> >The field names in A are identical to B.

On Thursday 23 May 2002 09:33 pm,
Paul DuBois wrote:

> The SELECT part has to be a legal SELECT statement, which yours
> isn't.  (The WHERE part names two tables, but the FROM part names
> only one.)

Thank you for your reply, Paul.   I now have two statements; one which works,
one which does not.   I do not know why the second will not work.

*WORKS to create a new table*
INSERT INTO a_copy SELECT a.field1, a.field2, .... a. field.6, b.field7 FROM
a,b WHERE a.field1 = b.field1

My resultant table has the data from b that I wanted to put directly into a
but could not (because of MySQL rules regarding manipulation of Two Tables?)
and writing back to one of them.  Is this the reason that I can't get this
next statement to work (returns ERROR 1066 - Not unique table/alias. )

*Does NOT work to replace data in table a *
REPLACE INTO a SELECT b.* FROM a, b WHERE a.field1 = b.field1

The FROM part now names two tables, as does the WHERE part.  (I'm attempting
to follow your curative recommendation).

So what is wrong with this statement?   I want to read records from one file,
write them to another, stepping on the contents of the entire record based on
a unique index key value.   I have 2215 records with correct data (b) and the
key matches a key in a file with 4935 records (a).  Is this not feasible with
MySQL until version 4.X?

Maybe I can just say:
REPLACE INTO a FROM b USING (field1)   ???

TIA for any help...

Andrew Lietzow