I keep getting the following error:

error: 'Can't connect to MySQL server through the socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111) 'Check that mysqld is running and that the
socket: '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' exists!

This wouldn't be a problem, but mysql.sock does exist and when I try to run
either mysqld or safe_mysqld, it immediately stops (within a tenth of a
second of starting).

Any ideas?  I'm sure it's my fault, since I just reinstalled the server
fresh from the RedHat 7.2 CD and used the OS install to install the MySQL
server.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt Hargraves