> I may be totally off, but couldn't you just try to open a
> socket to the
> relevant port - if it goes OK, you're fine. If not, well...
> example code in PHP:
>
>  if($fp = fsockopen($host_domain, $port, $errno, $errstr, $timeout)){
>         // - juhuu!
> }else{
>         // - boohoo...
>
> }
This works but the host that is running that will be blocked after 10 trys.

I am also looking for a different way of doing this without actually installing the
mysql client.

Stefan Immel
 |     Grove
Auf der Stuecke 6            Tel. +49 2773-8167-0
35708 Haiger / Germany       Fax  +49 2773-8167-20
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]             http://www.grove.de
"There is always hope, only because it is the one
  thing nobody's figured out how to kill yet."
      ~ Galen, Crusade "Racing The Night"