<stuff snipped>

| Jared, I can't help solve your problem, but I'd be very interested if you
| got an answer!
|
| Two suggestions though that may be of use:
| 1) Make sure your indexes are healthy
| 2) Try using a MERGE table

Thanks!  The indexes are the problem as I understand it... it appears that
MySql is attempting to enlarge the index file and it's failing.  This didn't
occur until we enabled the table size to exceed 4 gig and (so far) it has
only occurred in an index file containing an index on a varchar field.  We
are attempting to rebuild the table with a different index (using an index
on the first 10 characters of the varchar field).  Before we expanded the
table size, we built a table that had a 6.8 gig index file!

It still appears to be a flaw in the code that occurs in these conditions:

1) you have extended your table size.
    We did so with these settings
AVG_ROW_LENGTH=4096 MAX_ROWS=4294967295

2) You have an index on the varchar
    This is a guess but it seems to be the only unique thing about this
table.

We are looking at the merge, but it's a pretty large code base and would
require rather substantial changes to use that.