----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith C. Ivey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Jared Richardson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 5:24 PM
Subject: Re: Bug related to large tables and it's indexes on Win2k

| > |
| > | Why do you use AVG_ROW_LENGTH=4096? It seems to me the max record |
| > length is 528...? |

| > According to the MySql docs, the max table size is AVG_ROW_LENGTH *
| > MAX_ROWS
| >
| > We were trying to ensure the maximum amount of growth... this table
| > can grow very very large....
|
| That's fine, but if you make the max size bigger than what you really
| need, you bloat your index and slow things down for no benefit.  As I
| understand it, with the default max table size of 4 GB (for dynamic-
| record MyISAM tables), the index will have 4-byte pointers to the
| records.  The next step would be 5-byte pointers, which would allow a
| max table size of 1024 GB (or 1 TB).  But you're asking for an even
| higher max table size, forcing MySL to use 6-byte pointers in the
| index, which allows a max table size of 256 TB.
|
| I don't think there's any difference between setting AVG_ROW_LENGTH
| to 4096 and setting it to 528, since either will put you in the same
| size range when combined with MAX_ROWS=4294967295.

That makes sense.

| Think about how many rows you're actually going to have and what the
| real average row length is.  528 may be your maximum row length, but
| I think it's unlikely that your VARCHARs average anywhere near 255.
| Most likely the numbers are low enough that the 1 TB table size is
| sufficient, so your indexes will only need 5-byte pointers and thus
| be smaller.

This table is part of a product that contains publicly available (and always
expanding) publicly avilable biological data in addition to large companies
internal data.  A one terrabyte cap very well could come back to haunt us
one day! (sadly enough!)

We'll give it a shot with more reasonable numbers and see if we can work
around this problem.  Thank you very much for this input!