Dear All,

I am new to the mailing list so I apologise in advance if I am posting to
the wrong place. Please direct me if I am wrong.

With Mac OS 10.1.5:

Configuring like this was okay:

./configure --prefix=/user/local/mysql
--with-unix-socket-path=/usr/local/mysql/run/mysql_socket
--with-mysqld-user=mysql --with-comment --with-debug

Then issuing "make" went fine and compilation proceeded for a long while and
then:

HAREDIR="\"/user/local/mysql/share/mysql\""
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I./../include                     -I./../regex
-I. -I../include -I.. -I.    -g -O -DSAFE_MUTEX   -fno-implicit-templates
-fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -traditional-cpp -DHAVE_DARWIN_THREADS
-D_P1003_1B_VISIBLE -DSIGNAL_WITH_VIO_CLOSE -DSIGNALS_DONT_BREAK_READ -c
sql_udf.cc
sql_udf.cc:57: dlfcn.h: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [sql_udf.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

Further reading on various places on the internet seems to indicate that
this header file (dlfcn.h) is not included with the Apple Developer Kit and,
though I know very little about C++ compilation or programming, looking at
the source file indeed shows that the header file in question is called for,
but then doing a "locate dlfcn.h" after updating the locate db turns up
nothing so I trust the file is not on my system.

Is it necessary for me to go through the process of installing the
'dlcompat' package and if so, I wonder why that is not mentioned in any of
the material about compilation on OS X.

Can anyone answer my rather convoluted question? Thanks.

James Harris