----- Original Message -----
From: "Charlie Thunderberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 8:23 AM
Subject: RE: No Warnings after changed data

> Hello,
>
> I think that my problem boils down to the unimplemented getWarnings()
method
> in the mm. JDBC driver.  If it was implemented, I could detect if the data
> was e.g. truncated.  Can anybody help me find an implementation for this
> method?

The reason that it's not implemented in the JDBC driver, is that MySQL
issues warnings on every single query, except it's called "Extra Info", and
it's not always a warning. The overhead in parsing these messages (which
happen to be different depending on the locale installed, complicating
matters even further), has not been asked for by users of the driver, yet.

In any case, what the server returns in the case of a real warning will not
give you _any_ diagnostics on a warning, just that something happened (e.g.
see http://www.mysql.com/doc/I/N/INSERT.html at the bottom of the page), so
it's not helpful in diagnosing that data has changed.

The protocol for MySQL 4.1 will have a way to retrieve only warnings, and
hopefully a more descriptive warning message implementation.

    -Mark