From: Ralf Narozny [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 12:28 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Help needed with JOIN on 3 tables

Hiho hiho!

bob wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm very new to mysql and I'm having a problem getting my joins to work. I
>have 3 tables:
>
>builder
>category
>builder_category_link
>
>The builder table has a an id field and then several other fields (name,
>address etc)
>The category table has an id field and then one other field (type of
>business... electrician, plumber etc)
>The builder_category_link table has 3 fields, an id and then a builderid
and
>a categoryid (links the other two tables together)
>
>So, I can have a builder that can be a plumber, an electrician etc, etc.
>
>I've tried every way I can think to get the join to work and I've read and
>re-read the mysql docs and
>I just can't figure out how to make it go. I want to be able to search on
>both builder name and category
>(and get the builders that are in that category).

I'm assuming the ID in builder table is named builderID in
builder_category. Furthermore the ID in category is categoryID in
builder_category_table.

Then you should join like this:

SELECT
    b.name,
    c.business
FROM
    builder b
    LEFT JOIN builder_category bc ON ( b.id = bc.builderid)
    LEFT JOIN category c ON ( c.id = bc.builderid )
;

That should give out all names from builder which have any business given.

Greetings
 Ralf

--
Ralf Narozny