Mike,

With the way you have it written below,  all of the pic1_id, pic2_id,
pic3_id, and pic4_id must be equal (because they all equal pic.pic_id).
 Since this wasn't true for any of the rows, that is why you were
getting no results.
To get each picture value seperately, you will have to do one join for
each pic#_id, which will give you something like:

SELECT *
FROM pics AS p1, pics AS p2, pics AS p3, pics AS p4 , outings AS o
WHERE o.pic1_id=p1.pic_id
AND o.pic2_id=p2.pic_id
AND o.pic3_id=p3.pic_id
AND o.pic4_id=p4.pic_id;

Or as you had it written before using INNER JOIN's:

SELECT *
FROM outings as o INNER JOIN pics AS p1 ON o.pic1_id=p1.pic_id
INNER JOIN pics AS p2 ON o.pic2_id=p2.pic_id
INNER JOIN pics AS p3 ON o.pic3_id=p3.pic_id
INNER JOIN pics AS p4 ON o.pic4_id=p4.pic_id;

Either of those should work fairly well.  Hope that helps some.

Harrison