Hi,

I tried something like the following (MySQL 3.23.36 on RH7.1) and got
the error indicated below.

    create table product ( /* The main table -- see below... */
        id int not null auto_increment,        /* some text here */
        parid int not null,                    /* and here */
        descrip varchar(20) not null,          /* more */
        prodcode varchar(20) not null,         /* more */
        costcode int not null,                 /* more */
        locales set("GB","EU","US") not null,  /* more */
        primary key (id));                     /* last comment here */

    ERROR 1072: Key column 'id' doesn't exist in table

The problem is _avoided_ by removing the double-hyphen from the first
comment in the above example. So, it's okay if I do the following
instead (where I've *only* removed a single hyphen in the first
comment): -

    create table product ( /* The main table - see below... */
        id int not null auto_increment,        /* some text here */
        parid int not null,                    /* and here */
        descrip varchar(20) not null,          /* more */
        prodcode varchar(20) not null,         /* more */
        costcode int not null,                 /* more */
        locales set("GB","EU","US") not null,  /* more */
        primary key (id));                     /* last comment here */

So, either I've missed something about the meaning of "--" inside a
comment, or there's a syntactic problem, maybe in the MySQL client,
coz that's where I was doing my (interactive) testing.

This isn't a problem for me (now I've figured it out), but thought
I'd mention it anyway -- if you want more comment from me then please
email me directly as I'm not reading the List at the moment.

--
Cheers,
James.