A little more information on this problem ...

- Tonu's notes state that there are sample SSL keys & certs for testing
purposes in the "SSL" directory of the mysql tarball. There is no SSL
directory in the mysql-4.0.1-alpha.tar.gz file. Does anyone know which
tarball he may be referring to?

- In Tonu's notes, there is an example my.cnf entry of:

[mysqld]
ssl-ca=SSL/cacert.pem
ssl-cert=SSL/server-cert.pem
ssl-key=SSL/server-key.pem

Further in the notes, there's an example of a command-line switch for
mysqld:

mysqld --ssl-cert=SSL/server-cert.pem --ssl-ca=SSL/cacert.pem
--ssl-key=SSL/server-req.pem

In other words, one example shows "ssl-key" pointing to the "server-key.pem"
file, another example shows "ssl-key" pointing to "server-req.pem".

I'm looking through the files I created by doing these commands (extracted
from Tonu's notes):

>From the /usr/local/ssl/apps directory
./CA.sh -newca
./CA.sh -newreq
./CA.sh -sign

As I mentioned previously, those commands leave me with the following
structure:
  newcert.pem
  newreq.pem
  demoCA/
      newcerts/
          01.pem
      private/
          cakey.pem

"newcert.pem" and "demoCA/newcerts/01.pem" are identical.

Tonu's notes indicate that passwords should be removed from the key files
like this:

openssl rsa -inform pem  < server-req.pem > server-key.pem

I'm *assuming* that server-req.pem is the same as "newreq.pem" ... But the
leap in file names isn't documented, and the two contradictory examples of
ssl-key usage (mentioned above) are confusing.

- Is there an estimate for when the documentation on MySQL's SSL
functionality will be completed? I would love to be able to set this up
without having to guess at how it's done. : ) I'm going to start
experimenting with the files I've got to see what works ... I'll report what
I find. Meanwhile, the general idea of "guessing at how to configure the
secure connection" is killing the notion of "security" for me to some
extent.

- Has anyone successfully set this up on their servers? If so, I would be
grateful for your tips!

Thanks,
Clay