Markus Fischer wrote:
>     [Please CC: directly to me, I'm not subscribed]
>
>     Hi,
>
>     maybe a pointer to the documentation is sufficient, but does
>     mysqld uses linux-threads or processes?

mysqld uses threads (you already found the right documentation).

>     And is there way to control them? After I start up mysqld I
>     see 3 processes with ps. After some time (e.h. 12 hours) I
>     spotted about 24 (!) of them.
>
>     I've enabled sql logging and see that only every few seconds
>     requests are comming, even more time. I never see the number
>     if processes shrinking and I don't remember setting a limit
>     somewhere (compared to apache where I can control this).
>
>     On http://www.mysql.com/doc/M/y/MySQL_threads.html I found
>
>         "Every connection has its own thread."
>
>     A few senteces above on this page there were talks about
>     tcp/ip, but I'm only using sockets for the whole time, so
>     this applies there too?

You get one thread per client connection. It is the same for any
communication channel (TCP/IP, UNIX socket,...).

>     How long is the life-time of a connection if there's no
>     request comming anymore? The mysqld is acesssed with PHP and
>     I'm using normal mysql_connect() so connections aren't
>     persisten so they should go after some time?

The thread is created when a client opens a new connection and destroyed
when the client closes the connection (unless you explicitely ask mysqld
to keep some of them, see 'thread_cache_size' server parameter).
I have no experience with PHP, are you sure that the connection is
closed at the end of the HTTP request ?

>     thx for any hints,
>
>         - Markus

Regards