See below:

> oops, Mac OS X.
>
> on 6/23/02 10:16 PM, Danny, typed:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > What version of  UNIX are you running?
> > Solaris, Linux, FreeBSD, BSDI?
> >
> > You can find that out my typing in uname -a
. . .

> >> Hi,
> >> I hope I'm at the right list!
> >>
> >> I'm trying to start mysql -I have installed the db.
> >>
> >> Now I'm getting the following:
> >>
> >> [localhost:~] lloyd% sudo safe_mysqld --user=root &
> >> [1] 630
> >> [localhost:~] lloyd% Starting mysqld daemon with databases from
> >> /usr/local/mysql/data
> >> 020623 20:25:20  mysqld ended
> >>
> >> mysqladmin version
> >> ./bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> >> error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> > '/tmp/mysql.sock'
> >> (61)'
> >> Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock'
> > exists!

So does the socket exist? If it exists, are the permissions correct for
the user you have mySQL running as?

> >> [1]  + Done                          sudo safe_mysqld --user=root
> >> [localhost:~] lloyd% mysql
> >> ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> >> '/tmp/mysql.sock' (61)
> >>
> >> What do I need to do, please?

I myself made the directory to store the sockets in by hand. I doubt
that was the right thing to do, but I was able to get mySQL to run,
query the permissions table from the command line, etc.

> >> (Does this list have a searchable archive?)

Look here:
http://www.mysql.com/documentation/searchlists.html

Also, the AIMS group (MARC) list (un-official?):
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mysql&r=1&w=2

--
Joel Rees <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>