<tlr7425,

t> I've been scowering (sp?) the docs but I can't get past:

t> mysql> use mysql;
t> ERROR 1044: Access denied for user: '@localhost' to database 'mysql'

t> This happens under any condition where access is needed.
t> It is after I have done mysql_install_db and chown and there is a user
t> "mysql".

t> It doesn't matter how I try to connect, which user, etc., I get the same
t> result.

Was there grant tables before running mysql_install_db? Is so,
mysql_install_db doesn't re-create tables. In this case try to connect
with your old user/password.

If you install MySQL for the first time, connect as a 'root' without a
password.

t> If I try to setup the ROOT password I get the same sort of denial.

Seems, your user doesn't have permissions on the database 'mysql'

t> Perhaps it has something to do with my host name or maybe a conf (cf) file
t> somewhere that I have no idea of that is set wrongly.

t> Please help me if you can.

End of all, you can start mysqld with --skip-grant-tables option and
set up privileges for your users:
        http://www.mysql.com/doc/R/e/Resetting_permissions.html

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov
       <___/   www.mysql.com