I think the problem is that the mysql package is still tarred. You need to
tar -xvf mysqlxxxxxxxxx.tar
This will extract the archive into a new folder, and from within that
folder you should run the commands as listed in your original mail
(./configure .....)
So in short, the commands you are trying to use *appears* to be correct,
you just need to unpack the files before issuing the commands.
Your situation is similar to having a mysql package that is winzipped,
you first need to unzip it.