Hi

Paul - Thanks for your suggestion.
Unfortunately the general query log indicates that there is
no hint of  any external interference and it still rotates
every few  seconds ... there are constant accesses to the DB,
and the  bin-log is rotated mid-connection by a querying client.

I have an inkling perhaps updating the mysqld may make a difference,
even though I cannot find anything mentioned in the TODO's or fixes.

Almost every file is only 65 bytes long, and shows:
[root@mysql mysql]# mysqlbinlog mysql-bin.61676
# at 4
#020626  9:54:19 server id  12  Rotate to mysql-bin.61677pos=4
# at 46
#020626  9:57:48 server id  2   Stop
[root@mysql mysql]# mysqlbinlog mysql-bin.61677
# at 4
#020626  9:54:19 server id  12  Rotate to mysql-bin.61678pos=4
# at 46
#020626  9:57:56 server id  2   Stop
[root@mysql mysql]# mysqlbinlog mysql-bin.61678
# at 4
#020626  9:54:39 server id  12  Rotate to mysql-bin.61679pos=4
# at 46
#020626  9:58:04 server id  2   Stop

See - it's REALLY frequent..

*shrug* who knows ... Anyone?? ;)